Malcolm Alexander exonerated after serving 38 years in prison for rape

Malcolm Alexander exonerated after serving 38 years in prison for rape
Malcolm Alexander exonerated after serving 38 years in prison for rape

Malcolm Alexander Exonerated after almost 38 years, reunited with dog he raised at Angola.

Malcolm Alexander was released from prison Tuesday (Jan. 30). His first action: a nice, hot meal at Deanie’s Seafood in Bucktown.

According to a news release from the Innocence Project New Orleans, DNA evidence proved that Alexander, who was arrested for the crime in 1979, did not commit the rape that landed him a life sentence.

His paid lawyer — who was subsequently disbarred after complaints of neglect and abandonment were filed against him in connection with dozens of other cases — failed in his most basic duties to present a defense, IPNO said.

“The stakes in this case couldn’t have been higher for Mr. Alexander who faced a mandatory sentence of life without parole, yet the attorney that he entrusted with his life did next to nothing to defend him,” said Vanessa Potkin, post-conviction litigation director at the Innocence Project, which is affiliated with Cardozo School of Law. “It is simply unconscionable. Mr. Alexander was just 21years old when he was convicted after a trial that began and ended all in the same day. We know there are many more innocent people in prison today because their lawyers did not provide effective representation, or did not have the resources to put on an adequate defense. Without effective defense counsel, our system is nothing more than a conviction mill.”

Alexander has always maintained his innocence of the November 8, 1979, rape of the owner of a new antique store on Whitney Avenue in Gretna. The victim, who was white, was grabbed from behind in the empty store by a black man and taken to a small, dark, private bathroom in the back of the store where she was raped from behind with a gun to her head.

In February 1980, Alexander, who is black, had a consensual encounter with a white woman who asked him for money and then later accused him of sexual assault. This encounter, which was uncorroborated and later dropped by the police, prompted police to place Alexander’s photo in a photo array that was shown to the victim over four months after she was attacked at gunpoint by a complete stranger.

The assailant was behind the victim for the entirety of the crime, and her opportunity to view him was extremely limited. According to police reports, the victim “tentatively” selected Alexander’s photo.

A review of the trial record reveals that Alexander’s attorney failed to make court appearances and to file important pleadings, including a motion challenging the identification.

Previous articleVatican to Hold Exorcism Conference and satanic activities
Next articleCalifornia: Man Busted For DUI After Riding Horse
Jose S. Vanhorne 3714 Gambler Lane Deer Park, TX 77536 [email protected] 281-884-7952


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.