Nunavut reported 16 new COVID-19 cases today, all in Arviat, raising the territory’s total active case count to 56, the Government of Nunavut said in a news release issued Dec. 11.
That represents a major shift from the previous day, Dec. 10, when the territory reported zero new cases.
Yesterday, Dr. Michael Patterson, the chief public health officer, said all Nunavummiut in isolation should stay home and limit the risk to their communities.
All Nunavummiut should also continue to wear masks outside the home, practise physical distancing and wash their hands as often as possible, he said.
The territory reported its first case on Nov. 6 in Sanikiluaq, but the caseload grew quickly with cases confirmed in Rankin Inlet, Arviat and Whale Cove.
Since then, Sanikiluaq, Rankin Inlet and Whale Cove have fallen to zero cases. The 56 remaining active cases are all in Arviat.
Today, a total of 245 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Nunavut, with 189 recoveries.
Most of Nunavut has emerged from under a GN-imposed lockdown that took effect on Nov. 18 and ended Dec. 2. Arviat is still subject to a strict lockdown.
Across Canada, more than 442,000 COVID-19 cases have been reported since March, when the pandemic began. More than 13,000 people have died of the disease. No deaths have been reported in Nunavut.
In March, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a global pandemic.
In Nunavut, Nunavik and across the country, public health officials have encouraged physical distancing, hand-washing and wearing masks in public places as measures people should take to prevent the spread of the disease.