Coronavirus Canada updates: Quebec reports its most cases in a month

0
286
Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days. The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.
Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days. The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.

Quebec health officials have announced 166 new daily cases of COVID-19, the most since June 19.

It’s now the fourth straight day that it has recorded over 140 cases, and the eighth straight day it has surpassed 100.

Before the recent stretch, it had not recorded at least 140 cases since June 25. Between June 26 and July 11, it stayed below 100 daily cases except on two occasions.

The increase in cases comes as Quebec continues to process tests, after officials on July 11 asked anyone who’s been to a Montreal bar since Canada Day to get tested for COVID-19.

Quebec’s testing numbers are reflective of its outputs from two days prior. In its latest 24-hour stretch, the province completed 15,864 tests for COVID-19, which is its highest output since the start of the pandemic, and above its goal of 14,000.

As of Wednesday evening, at least 45 cases have been linked to 14 venues. Montreal public health officials have yet to provide updated statistics, a move that has drawn criticism over its lack of transparency.

On Friday, Premier François Legault said that Quebec’s bars will remain open, after they were given the green light on June 25. Officials instead believe that private gatherings are the root of the problem as cases continue to rise in the province.

On July 9, Quebec decided to enforce new restrictions on bars. It was a move that was implemented after people in Montérégie tested positive for COVID-19, following a visit to a bar in Brossard and a couple of house parties, which have led to at least 20 infections.

Montreal remains the epicentre with 28,000 total cases, up by 49 since Saturday. But the spread of COVID-19 continues to gain pace in surrounding areas of the city, in some cases in connection to bars and parties. The Montérégie region has 8,395 cases (up by 52), Lanaudière has 4,381 (up by 26), Laurentides region has 3,676 (up by 10), and Laval has 5,904 (up by five).

On Sunday, the province also announced one fatality, increasing the death toll to 5,655.

Among the province’s 57,466 total cases throughout the pandemic are 50,050 people who have recovered, up by 23 since Saturday. Of the 1,761 active cases that remain, there are 251 people in hospital (up by three), which includes 18 in intensive care (up by three)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.