Evidence suggests Martin Carpentier broke into a camping trailer in the same area where his daughters were found dead.
The Sûreté du Québec believes Martin Carpentier, the 44-year-old man who vanished after the deaths of his two daughters, may still be alive and is stealing supplies in order to survive and elude the manhunt that has sought him for a week.
The bodies of Norah and Romy Carpentier were found Saturday in a wooded area near St-Apollinaire after an Amber Alert had been issued for the pair two days earlier.
The provincial force said Thursday that evidence suggests Martin Carpentier broke into a camping trailer in the area on Wednesday night and stole items inside.
“Wednesday night we obtained new evidence showing Martin Carpentier had been inside a trailer located in the area where the search was going on,” the SQ said in a communiqué. “This leads us to believe he is seeking material that would ensure his survival.”
SQ spokesperson Ann Mathieu told reporters on Thursday that it is possible Carpentier had used the technique elsewhere, targeting homes, trailers and other dwellings locally or further from the search area in an effort to obtain food and clothing.
Police are asking local residents, particularly in the Lotbinière area, to check their homes, chalets or trailers to see if they have been broken into and whether items have been moved or stolen.
Mathieu said there is nothing to indicate Carpentier is a danger to the population, but those worried about checking their property on their own could be accompanied by police.