Ontario campfire explosion sends child to hospital

Ontario campfire explosion sends child to hospital
Ontario campfire explosion sends child to hospital

A seven-year-old boy is in serious condition in hospital after a buried propane cylinder exploded at an Eastern Ontario campfire Saturday night.

Two adults who had been with the child at the fire were released from hospital Sunday, according to the Ontario Provincial Police, which wouldn’t say how — or whether — the child and two adults are related.

It isn’t clear how long the propane cylinder had been at the campsite, or who had placed it there, said an OPP spokesperson.

“We’re still investigating exactly what happened,” said Const. Lori Lobinowich, with the OPP’s Lanark County detachment.

Still, Lobinowich urged campers to be cautious when building campfires.

“Please don’t put anything into a campfire,” said Lobinowich.

Lobinowich wouldn’t confirm a report that the explosion took place at the Tay River Tent & Trailer Park. A staff member answering the phone at the park said the park wouldn’t be issuing any statement.

Previous articleCoronavirus Canada updates: Only one death in past 24 hours in Quebec
Next articleReport: Most actively traded companies on the TSX
2446 Bloor Street Lougheed, AB T0B 2V0 [email protected] 780-386-2284


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.