At a press conference on Friday, Quebec’s health minister Christian Dubé addressed a study from the Institut national de santé publique du Quebec (INSPQ), the province’s public health research institute, which indicates that if Quebecers can reduce their contacts by 25 per cent there will be a decline in COVID-19 spread and hospitalizations.
“Quebecers have made great effort to limit their contacts,” Dubé said. “Our efforts are paying off but we must continue if we want the cases to decline.”
The health minister said if the public can reduce their daily contacts from five to four, it will make a significant impact in two weeks.
Another study, also released earlier on Friday, by the Institut national d’excellence en santé et en services sociaux (INESSS) indicates an expected increase in hospitalization in the Montreal region, but less severe than previously anticipated.
Quebec reported 1,055 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, with 14 more people hospitalized.