Coronavirus Canada updates: P.E.I. reports first cases in months

0
309
Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days. The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.
Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days. The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.

Prince Edward Island health officials have identified three new cases of COVID-19, marking the first day the province has recorded any cases in months.

One of the cases involves an employee at a seniors home.

P.E.I. last announced a case on April 28, and by May 8, it had no active cases since all 27 of its original patients recovered.

“This is disappointing news, but we’ve said consistently that we need to be prepared for more cases, and we are,” said chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison on Saturday.

Morrison said that the cases are not related to either seasonal residents or the Atlantic bubble, which has allowed the residents of the four Atlantic provinces to visit other places within the region without self-isolating as of Friday.

The three new patients involve a man in his 50s who is an essential worker. He recently travelled outside of the region, but has self-isolated since returning.

“Any Canadian citizen is able to travel back to their home … regardless of where they live,” said Premier Dennis King.

The two other cases involve a man and a woman in their 20s, and officials believe they are related, said Morrison.

The man returned from P.E.I. from Nova Scotia on June 29, and had contact with someone from the United States. The other case involves an employee of the Whisperwood Villa seniors home in Charlottetown.

The Whisperwood Villa employee did not have provide direct personal care to any of the residents. As of Saturday, no residents are showing new symptoms of COVID-19, while everyone at the facility is being tested for COVID-19. Morrison also advised anyone who visited June 30 to be tested.

“She did wear appropriate PPE while working, and does not provide direct personal care to residents. She left work as soon as she wasn’t feeling well,” said Morrison, while noting that she is currently still experiencing symptoms.

King said contact tracing is underway, and that he will wait for the results before changing COVID-19 restrictions in the province. It’s currently in Phase 4 of its reopening plan, which started June 26.

Whisperwood Villa has cancelled indoor and outdoor visits until further notice, along with communal dining. Temperature checks will also increase to twice a day.

Of the Atlantic provinces, Newfoundland and Labrador is the only one with no active cases. There remains one in New Brunswick and three in Nova Scotia.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.