Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days.
The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases.
Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors.
“Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it’s OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren’t. … We can’t have these wild parties right now. It’s just way, way too risky.”
For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you’re caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford.
These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.