Coronavirus Canada updates: Nova Scotia’s most recent COVID-19 case was home-care nurse

0
344
Coronavirus Canada Updates: Public Health confirms 21 new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region
Coronavirus Canada Updates: Public Health confirms 21 new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.

Nova Scotia’s chief medical officer of health says the most recent case of COVID-19 in Nova Scotia was a home-care nurse in the province’s central health zone.

The new case was announced Monday.

In a news briefing Wednesday, Dr. Robert Strang said the individual tested positive for COVID-19 in early May and had recovered. He said the individual’s most recent test results were inconclusive, and public health is working with their local and national labs “to see if it’s a true case of reinfection or not.”

“In the meantime, out of an abundance of caution, we are assuming that this is a new positive case and taking the appropriate public health measures,” he said.

Strang said this case has “implications for our understanding of immunity.”

“[It’s] making it more likely that we can’t count on a one-time infection producing lifelong immunity,” he said. “Anybody who was infected in the first wave, we can’t just assume they have immunity now.”

It’s unclear how the nurse may have been infected.

Strang said the person wore full personal protective equipment and followed infection controls while working. He said public health is following up with their household and social contacts, and have been working with the home-care agency assessing each home-care client to determine their risk of exposure.

Few additional details were given about the recent risk of possible exposure at the Canada Games Centre in Halifax from Aug. 28 to Sept. 1, but Strang said it’s a “low-risk environment.”

“Just because you’ve been in the same facility at the same time doesn’t mean you’ve been exposed,” he said.

Post-secondary students doing well

In recent weeks, 3,200 out-of-province post-secondary students have arrived in Nova Scotia and 6,000 tests have been completed.

While four students have been fined for not self-isolating, Strang said most of the out-of-province students are either still self-isolating or have completed their self-isolation requirements. He said compliance for digital check-ins is very good.

“And the fact that we have only had three cases among the first 3,200 students bodes well. That’s good news for all of us,” said Strang.

He said this shows that the risk from post-secondary students is low and that the province’s self-isolation and testing strategy is working. Each student from outside the Atlantic bubble is required to self-isolate for 14 days and complete three COVID-19 tests before they are permitted to attend class or go into the wider community.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.