Testing and contact tracing is continuing in connection with two cases of COVID-19 announced on Saturday on P.E.I.
The province announced three new cases Saturday, the first on the Island in more than two months. One was related to travel and the person was self-isolating.
The other two were, however, connected. Contact tracing and testing revealed two more cases on Sunday. The starting point of the outbreak was a man who had travelled to Nova Scotia and appears to have contracted COVID-19 from someone there who had recently been in the U.S.
Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Heather Morrison told Island Morning host Laura Chapin the man had been making an effort to self-isolate.
“It’s sometimes difficult and challenging for people to self-isolate, depending on their living situation,” said Morrison.
The man, who is in his 20s, appears to have passed the virus to a woman in her 20s as well as two other men in their 20s.
Morrison said the outbreak is not connected to seasonal residents or the Atlantic bubble. She said it is an important reminder that while there have been relatively few cases on P.E.I. and no hospitalizations, the Island is not immune to the pandemic.
“If you’re in a low-risk category or a high-risk category of susceptibility you can still get COVID and you can still spread COVID-19. This is not unexpected that this could happen here, though it is certainly disappointing,” she said.
It is important for people to continue taking precautions — washing their hands regularly, physical distancing, and keeping their number of contacts small — Morrison said.