Coronavirus Canada updates: New hospital outbreak in Alberta

0
347
Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days. The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.
Premier Doug Ford announced on Saturday that the entire province of Ontario will now have to abide by new restrictions, which limit gatherings to 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for the next 28 days. The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.

Alberta has identified 47 new cases of COVID-19 in its latest 24-hour stretch, increasing its total to 7,276.

Of the new patients, 22 were identified in the Edmonton zone and 23 in the Calgary zone.

No new fatalities were reported, as the death toll remains at 151.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the province’s chief medical officer of health, announced a new outbreak at Alberta Hospital in Edmonton. Currently, there are four known COVID-19 cases on staff. No patients have been infected with the virus at this point.

Of the province’s 7,276 cases, there are 6,754 people who have recovered from the virus. Of the 371 active cases that remain, there are 42 patients in hospital, which includes six in intensive care.

Health officials have tested 310,271 people since the start of the pandemic in Alberta.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.