New Brunswick officials have confirmed the province’s fifth and sixth deaths related to COVID-19.
Public Health said one of the deaths was a person between 70 and 79 in the Moncton region (Zone 1), the other was between 40 and 49 and is from the Campbellton region (Zone 5). Both died because of “underlying complications” including COVID-19, according to a release issued by the province.
Premier Blaine Higgs said in a statement he expresses his condolences to the families and friends of the individuals.
“Today’s news is a heartbreaking reminder that we all must do everything we can to slow and prevent the spread of this disease,” he said.
Dalhousie Mayor Normand Pelletier said it was “extremely disappointing” to hear of another death in his region.
“It hurts when you see what happens with this virus,” he said.
‘Kind of a wake up call’
People in Dalhousie have been mourning the loss of a local man to COVID-19 last week. The death of Rheal Vautour, who was in his 70s, was announced on Wednesday.
Pelletier said he hopes there are no more deaths from the virus in the region and he is praying people take action to stop the spread.
“I think this is going to rattle a lot of people in the county, especially a young lady like this at 49 years of age,” he said. “I think this is going to be kind of a wake up call.”
The news comes as the Campbellton region grapples with an outbreak of COVID-19 placing it on the verge of returning to tighter restrictions. The area is the only part of the province under the orange-level recovery phase.