Nine people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus while 18 people have been listed as recovered, officials with the Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) reported Wednesday.
The region’s total case count stands at 874, of which 732 have recovered. The region’s death toll, 57, has not changed since June 12.
As many as 142 cases have been reported during the month of September as the region, and province, continues to grapple with a second wave of the virus.
Of the new cases Wednesday, six are from London, Ont., and three are from Thames Centre. As for the age of the infected individuals, one is under 20, one is in their 20s, three are in their 30s, one is in their 50s, and three are in their 60s.
Five contracted the virus through contact with a confirmed case and three have their exposure source listed as pending, while one case has no known link.
One case that tested positive last week has been confirmed by Loblaw Companies Limited to involve a worker at its Masonville Loblaws location.
The company says one staff member at the store recently tested positive on a presumptive test for the virus. The company’s website says the worker tested positive Sept. 22 and had last worked at the store on Sept. 20.
Employees who worked closely with the person were self-isolating at home, the company said.
Health officials reported one new case and one recovery on Tuesday — the smallest single-day increase in weeks. Eight cases were reported on Monday along with one recovery, while over the weekend, a total of 27 cases were reported, including 12 cases involving Western students.
It’s unclear how many, if any, of Wednesday’s cases involve post-secondary students.
As of Friday, the number of cases associated with Western students was in the range of 60, according to Dr. Chris Mackie, the region’s medical officer of health — a tally that is now likely above 70 with the addition of the weekend cases.