SURREY, B.C. – B.C.’s poison information centre and the Fraser Health authority are warning the public not to consume Wing Hing brand sand ginger powder after two people were hospitalized last month.
Fraser Health says in a news release the product sold at the Crystal Mall in Burnaby may contain powder from the plant monkshood, a poisonous toxin that can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness, irregular heart contractions and sometimes death.
Dr. Emily Newhouse, a medical health officer at Fraser Health, said in an interview Wednesday that an investigation began after two people were admitted to hospital with heart irregularities after ingesting the product in February.
She said both patients have recovered, the remaining product was seized from the mall and it has been verified that the store is not at fault.
Newhouse said the authority is working with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Health Canada to determine where in the supply chain the product may have been tampered with.
She encourages anyone who experiences symptoms of poisoning to seek immediate medical attention and to contact the B.C. Drug and Poison Information Centre.