Enzo Wilson suffered burns to 50 per cent of his body after a fire started in his Duncan home in the early morning of Nov. 1.
A five-year-old boy who suffered serious burns in a fire that destroyed his family home just after Halloween has died.
Enzo Wilson died Monday in B.C. Children’s Hospital in Vancouver with his parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and cousins at his side, said his aunt, Darla Smith.
Enzo suffered burns to 50 per cent of his body after a fire started in his Duncan home in the early morning of Nov. 1 and he developed an infection as a result of the burns, Smith said. He was scheduled to undergo a third surgery Monday, but it was deemed too risky.
His grandmother, Lucetta George-Grant, called Enzo “our strongest, toughest, most bravest little warrior that succumbed to his injuries.”
Enzo had just started kindergarten and will be greatly missed by his classmates and friends, Smith said.
“His short presence in the world ignited so many and we are so sad to tell our community that he is coming home, but coming home to join our ancestors in the spirit world,” she wrote in a message.
He was a “quiet comedian,” Smith said. “He knew how to make you laugh and live to enjoy the moment.”
He loved Hot Wheels cars and had an extensive collection of the toys. He played soccer and was learning karate. He loved being outdoors and had recently discovered a passion for hunting. He was looking forward to using a new pair of binoculars on his next hunting trip, Smith said.
Enzo was sleeping on a living room couch when one of his siblings spotted a fire near the wood stove. His six siblings escaped through ground-floor bedroom windows. Neighbour Rick Wilson rushed inside the home to rescue Enzo.
The family does not yet have plans for a funeral.