Coronavirus Canada Updates: Public Health confirms 21 new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region

0
220
Coronavirus Canada Updates: Public Health confirms 21 new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region
Coronavirus Canada Updates: Public Health confirms 21 new COVID-19 cases in Waterloo Region The restrictions were first put in place for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa on Friday, but have now been extended after the province recorded 407 new cases on Saturday — the most in a 24-hour stretch since June 2. It also comes a day after Ontario recorded 402 cases. Previously, gathering limits were set at 50 people indoors and 100 people outdoors. “Folks, the alarm bells are ringing,” said Ford on Saturday. “Too much of it is being tied to people who aren’t following the rules, people who think it's OK to hold parties, carrying on as if things are back to normal. They aren't. ... We can't have these wild parties right now. It's just way, way too risky.” For those who organize a gathering that exceeds the new limit, they can face a minimum fine of $10,000 under the current emergency orders. If you're caught going to one of these parties, “you can get slapped with a $750 fine,” said Ford. These new restrictions do not apply to events held in facilities such as movie theatres, restaurants, banquet halls, places of worship, gyms, or convention centers.

Region of Waterloo Public Health has confirmed 21 new cases of COVID-19 and the first related death in over two months.

The Saturday afternoon update of their online dashboard also shows 11 more resolved cases and an increase of nine to the active case count.

This brings the totals to 2,154 confirmed cases, 1,926 resolved, 121 deaths, and 107 active cases.

The number of people in hospital for COVID-19 has dropped by one to eight. Medical Officer of Health Dr. Hsiu-Li Wang said during a media briefing Friday that three people are being cared for in the intensive care unit.

An outbreak linked to an event at a place of worship, which involved 18 cases, has been declared over.

Public Health has also declared an outbreak at Holy Spirit Catholic Elementary School in Cambridge. This is the second Catholic elementary school in the area to declare an outbreak following Our Lady of Grace Catholic Elementary School in Kitchener on Thursday.

In Ontario, officials reported 1,015 new cases on Saturday morning. This is the highest total since Oct. 25, when 1,042 cases were added.

In total, there are 75,730 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ontario.

Nine more COVID-19-related deaths were recorded in the last 24-hour period, pushing Ontario’s death toll to 3,136.

At the same time, 798 more cases of the disease are now considered to be resolved by the Ministry of Health. At least 64,717 residents who contracted COVID-19 have recovered since the beginning of the pandemic.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.